Sunday, May 22, 2005

Plants, Books and Reggae

Last time I posted I was thinking that our next big rush would be the Lions Tour. Not so. A couple of huge events have delivered our biggest weekend ever: New Zealand Music Month and the Auckland Writers and Readers Festival. Add that to the fact that we are now listed in Google and in the Auckland dining guides, and we have lots of new customers discovering Mexican food . . . and they love it!

JB and I placed 4th in one of the big annual golf tournaments at Titirangi. We were expecting a sleeve of balls or some sweeps, but they do things a bit differently here (seems like I say that all the time!) The prize was a potted plant. I remember Gene Taylor from COCC (he did a job share with a fellow from Invercargill a few years back) telling me that their golf club gave meat as prizes and I thought that was so funny. It reflects the attitude towards golf - it's not a big deal, it's just something everyone does. Greens fees and club memberships are pretty inexpensive, and a round of golf is accessible to just about everyone (providing you can walk five miles over hill and dale).

Tyler has achieved his dream of playing semi-pro basketball by joining the North Harbour team. In fact, they made him captain! Conor and Jen have been doing all of the touristy things, even though the weather has been wet but warm. Tyler, Mike and I found a great little cafe in Devonport last week that serves REAL pancakes. Before that we were stuck with Denny's for our flapjack fix.

Both JB and I have made our return flights for July. JB is going back July 3 for the Broken Top Men's Invitational, and I will be in Bend on the 23rd for a couple of weeks for the Broken Top Classic. We are looking forward to seeing as many friends and family as we can up and down the West Coast.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I can't wait to see both of you in Bend. Kitten

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Dana

Clare died June 4

I am at the beach house and do not have your email addresses...sorry for the crude way to announce the event.

I just wanted to get word to you. JB has always liked Clare and in truth gave me a more rounded and appreciative view of my own mother. What better thing can a man do for a friend?

Mark K. is a loyal reader of the blog and is coaxing me to make a trip to NZ to see you.

Clare will be creamated Tue. and Mark, Karen and I will take her ashes to Arlington to be resident with our fathers headstone sometime in Aug.

Ty and Conman...my little brothers; all the best to you; go Cosacks!

What a whack way to get a message to you but maybe better to announce to the world that you are wonderful and loyal friends.