Sunday, July 17, 2005

Lions & Tacos & Beers

Oh my. It's been a week and I think it's safe to say we have recovered from the onslaught of Lions last Friday and Saturday nights. We were prepared with tons of food and more than 100 cases of beer as backups for the backups. It started on Thursday afternoon and continued through until Sunday. Saturday night Conor even went to the grocery store and bought $600 worth of beer, only to see it disappear in 45 minutes.

Sunday morning I went in to help chop more salsa and we were swamped by all of the bouncers and bartenders from Lenin, Float and Provedor. Of course I put on Beatles music, it's the only time I get to choose the tunes. You should have seen it, all of these great big guys in line ordering breakfast burritos singing "She's got a ticket to ri - hi - hide." A curious little Irishman in a green rugby shirt and Lions headdress stood at the counter and insisted we MUST have something with alcohol in it and I insisted just as strenuously that we did not. He had to make do with a latte, which was just as well. I'm sure he would thank me if he could remember what planet he was on. I have posted a new photo album entitled "Lions" so you can get a sense of it all.

So today (Sunday) the Pacific Sky docks at 9:30 am and by noon we had made over 150 lattes and flat whites (a uniquely Kiwi coffee similar to a cappuccino). They had come from Sydney on their way to Tonga and Vanuatu. While valiantly keeping up with the orders, I heard someone mutter "Don't these people have food on this cruise?"

The big buzz in Auckland (now that the Lions have gone home) is Desperate Housewives, which begins airing tomorrow night. Right, then, back to normal. Unfortunately, I won't be heading back to the States this week as planned. Things are a bit hectic around here. Hey JB, it's time to come home!

No comments: